Imagine
this is the first day of school and the teacher asks for an essay about your
summer. I would start with the word
bittersweet and there might even be tears in English class. I’m referring to the sorrow and joy that blend
to create the odd experience known to all as “growing up”. If I were 15 years younger, I would be
preparing to spend time with my cousins at the rural home of our
grandparents. In years past, we spent
our time watching movies that were too loud for Grandma, consuming more
calories than is normal at Sonic, eating Oreos and popcorn at the local
drive-in theater, and swimming in the local river. We consumed copious amounts of hamburgers,
vanilla ice cream, homemade bread, and Grandma’s strawberry jam. We stayed up too late, got up too early, and
wore ourselves out entertaining each other.
We are also a very theatrical family, so you could pretty much count on
there being a show.
It is
not easy to forget summers filled with learning to drive, fireworks, late-night
talks, and too little sleep. Summers
that are filled with road trips, American landmarks, and a lot of sun. Summers that sometimes include camping,
cookouts, and imagination. Summer breaks
are a great time to reconnect with family.
I’m thankful for the memories made growing up at my Grandparent’s
home. I’m thankful for my cousins who
are both spiritual family and best friends.
In
addition to the special bond we formed as cousins, that continues to this day,
we also sat close as Grandpa told stories and Grandma read from the Bible and
prayed for us. We listened closely as
they debated the same things every day in their unique and loving way, waiting to catch the wink from Grandpa that often followed. At Grandpa’s death, they were married almost
70 years.
This
summer, there won’t be a crowd at Grandma’s house. We’re mostly adults now. A married cousin has a beautiful one year old
son. Another is about to marry a godly
man, that Grandpa never got to meet, but I’m confident he would love as much as
we do. Cousins are on break from high
school and college, in the midst of graduate school, work, or international
travel plans. As the family grows up
(but not older), making time together is harder and more precious. We rarely gather at the country homestead
anymore. The presence of Grandma, the
love we have for each other, and the common love we share for Jesus tie us
together across miles and bring us together in our respective homes.
Yet,
the loss of our anchor in Grandpa is keenly felt. His hugs and kisses, his prayers, his
stories, and his spiritual headship shaped the lives of his 8 granddaughters, 3
grandsons, and 2 grandsons-in-love in ways that will be felt for years to come.
His love influenced the choice of men
who have married into this family.
Boyfriends that Grandpa didn’t approve of did not stick around for
long. The last time we were all together
before his death, his granddaughters sang to him:
“I want to marry Grandpa when I grow
up.
I want to live with Grandpa when I
grow up.
My Grandpa is the sweetest man that
you will ever see.
I love for him to hold my hand and
cuddle up with me.
If I could marry Grandpa when I grow
up,
I’d be as good as any girl could be.
I’d wash my face and comb my hair and
show him that I really care.
If I could marry Grandpa when I grow
up.”
(adapted from Ron Hamilton’s I Want To
Marry Daddy)
These
words are clearly not realistic, but it was our joy to sing them almost every
summer as a reminder of how much we loved Grandpa. The last time I saw my Grandpa alive, he
wasn’t able to call me or my sister by name.
Yet, when Grandma said we were his beautiful granddaughters, he replied,
“Yes, they are.” He didn’t need to
recall me specifically to know that we loved him and that he loved us. It was just his way.
As we
gather in a few weeks to celebrate a family wedding, we will remember Grandpa
on what would have been his 94th birthday and his and Grandma’s 71st
anniversary. Even though this summer and
all those still to come will look different from the years of braces, bangs, and
butterfly clips (think 1999), I’m thankful that summers are still for family.
Copyright July 28, 2014 *thewifeoflee*
Copyright July 28, 2014 *thewifeoflee*
No comments:
Post a Comment